What are the documents my dad needs to state how he wants medical procedures in case he is unable to make decisions?

Our family just had a discussion with planning in event of something happening to dad. He stated to the family his wishes and we just want to make sure that those wishes are documented and legally binding.

Vanessa Terzian
Vanessa Terzian
Estate Planning Attorney

You would want to find out if your dad has a Advance Health Care Directive (AHCD), which is a legal document that names an agent to make medical decisions on his behalf. Along with this document, your dad should consider having a Living Will which addresses end of life decisions such as if he were in an irreversible coma, would he want life support to be removed.

There are other health related documents that also deal with end of life decisions -a Do Not Resusitate Order or DNR may state more broadly that your dad does not want to be Resusitated at all no matter what. The DNR order in California is now called a POLST. So you would want to check your specific state forms. 

Your dad's doctors office or local hospital should have some sample forms for you.

We at Care Giving Answers strive to provide helpful and...  (more)We at Care Giving Answers strive to provide helpful and relevant information to senior citizens and their families and loved ones. The material provided through our site is made available for informational purposes only. In no way should users of our site rely or act upon any information provided herein without seeking appropriate professional advice (medical, legal or financial). Users should independently verify the accuracy, completeness and relevance for their specific purposes. The information provided through our site is not intended to constitute professional advice and in no way forms or constitutes a professional-client relationship of any kind.

View 1 other answer

More Answers