My grandma has Alzheimer's but refuses to take medication

She lives alone. What can I do?

Vanessa Terzian
Vanessa Terzian
Estate Planning Attorney

From a legal standpoint, you would want to find out if your grandma has a Advance Health Care Directive (AHCD), which is a legal document that names an agent to make medical decisions on her behalf. Depending on how the AHCD is drafted, that agent should have authority to speak to your grandma's doctor about this issue and take steps to remedy the issue. If your grandma does not have this document, you would want to speak to an attorney to discuss having your grandmother execute one (assuming she has capacity to do so). If she does not have this legal document in place and the issue progresses, you might want to investigate a court procedure, often called a Guardianship or Conservatorship. A conservatorship is a court case where a judge appoints a responsible person or organization (called the “conservator”) to care for another adult (called the “conservatee”) who cannot care for himself or herself or manage his or her own finanal and/or medical decisions.

We at Care Giving Answers strive to provide helpful and...  (more)We at Care Giving Answers strive to provide helpful and relevant information to senior citizens and their families and loved ones. The material provided through our site is made available for informational purposes only. In no way should users of our site rely or act upon any information provided herein without seeking appropriate professional advice (medical, legal or financial). Users should independently verify the accuracy, completeness and relevance for their specific purposes. The information provided through our site is not intended to constitute professional advice and in no way forms or constitutes a professional-client relationship of any kind.

View 2 other answers

More Answers